Integrity Legal

Posts Tagged ‘K-1 Visa Japan’

1st March 2011

It recently came to this blogger’s attention that the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) will be changing their procedures in matters pertaining to address changes. To quote directly from the website of the Division of International Services NIH Office of Research Services:

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has announced new mailing addresses for submitting the Form AR-11. The form must now be mailed to an office in Kentucky, and not to the USCIS Headquarters in Washington, D.C.

Forms submitted via the U.S. Postal Service should be sent to:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Change of Address
P.O. Box 7134
London, KY 40742-7134

Forms submitted via commercial overnight or freight services should be sent to:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Change of Address
1084-I South Laurel Road
London, KY 40744

Any forms previously mailed to the USCIS Headquarters will be forwarded to the Kentucky office. A new version of the Form AR-11, which includes the new mailing addresses, has been issued and is now available on the usCIS website (click here to download a copy of the form). Additional information on the change of address is available here on the USCIS website.

The administration of this blog highly recommends that readers click on the above link to read the full announcement.

This issue could be of particular importance for those who have recently filed a petition for immigration benefits and subsequently moved their place of residence. Also, those who enter the United States of America in K-1 visa status (the categorical name for the US fiance visa) should take note of the above announcements as K-1 visa holders are required to submit an application for adjustment of status in order to be granted lawful permanent residence in the USA. In some cases, a bi-national couple may find that they need to change their address while the adjustment of status is pending. Failure to advise the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) of such a change could result in processing delays or a situation in which a couple is not notified of an upcoming adjustment of status interview. This could result in the couple missing said interview and the K-1 fiancee falling out of status due to a deficient adjustment. For these reasons, keeping USCIS abreast of one’s address while a petition is pending is very prudent.

In a recent posting on this blog it was also noted that the USCIS has recently changed their policy regarding employment authorization and advance parole. The service is apparently issuing advance parole on the same document that grants employment authorization prior to adjustment. Advance parole is a benefit that can be granted to those holding K-1 visa status which allows the visa holder to leave the country while an adjustment is pending. Failure to obtain advance parole prior to leaving the USA could result in the K-1 visa beneficiary falling out of status and thereby requiring the process to be restarted all over again.

For related information please: K1 Visa Thailand.

more Comments: 04

29th January 2011

The administration of this web log routinely posts the holiday closing schedules of various US Missions in the Asia-Pacific region as a courtesy to travelers abroad who may need services from a US Embassy or US Consulate while overseas. The following was quoted directly from the official website of the United States Embassy in Tokyo, Japan:

The Embassy will be closed to the public in observance of the following United States and Japanese holidays:

New Year’s Day Jan. 1, 2011 Saturday (Observed on Fri., Dec. 31)
Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Birthday Jan. 17 Monday
National Foundation Day Feb. 11 Friday
Washington’s Birthday Feb. 21 Monday
Vernal Equinox Day March 21 Monday
Golden Week Holidays April 29, May 3-5 Friday, Tuesday – Thursday
Memorial Day May 30 Monday
Independence Day July 4 Monday
Marine Day July 18 Monday
Labor Day Sept. 5 Monday
Autumn Equinox Day Sept. 23 Friday
Columbus Day/Sports Day Oct. 10 Monday
Veterans Day Nov. 11 Friday
Labor Thanksgiving Day Nov. 23 Wednesday
Thanksgiving Day Nov.24 Thursday
Emperor’s Birthday Dec.23 Friday
Christmas Day Dec. 25 Sunday (Observed on Mon., Dec. 26)


The Embassy will remain open for the following three Japanese holidays in 2011:

Adult’s Day Jan. 10 Monday
Respect for the Aged Day Sept. 19 Monday
Culture Day Nov. Thursday

Those wishing to view the official homepage of the US Embassy in Japan please click HERE.

Those seeking services which can only be provided by a US Mission abroad such as issuance of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, US Passport, or additional visa pages for a US Passport are well advised to contact an American Citizen Services Section of the nearest US Mission with appropriate Consular jurisdiction. In some cases, it may be possible to set an appointment with the Post in advance over the internet. Setting an appointment in advance can greatly streamline the processing of requests as Consular Officers are often better able to anticipate one’s needs.

Those seeking non-immigrant visa benefits such as a US tourist visa (B-2), US student visa (F-1), US exchange visitor visa (J-1), or US business visa (B-1) are likely to see their visa application processed at a US Embassy or US Consulate abroad. It should be noted that non-immigrant visa applicants are scrutinized subject to section 214(b) of the United States Immigration and Nationality Act.

Those American Citizens seeking American family visa benefits for a Japanese spouse such as a CR-1 visa or IR-1 visa are generally required to process and receive approval of a United States immigration petition prior to processing a US visa application at a US Embassy or US Consulate abroad. It should be noted that for processing purposes, the K-1 visa, although a US fiance visa, is treated in much the same way as the immigrant visa categories.

Those seeking US business visa benefits such as E-2 visa benefits for certain qualified traders, L-1 visa benefits for intra-company transferees of multi-national corporations, or EB-5 visa benefits for immigrant investors are likely to be required to process, and receive approval of, an immigration petition prior to application for visa benefits at a US Embassy or US Consulate abroad.

Those denied a US visa may be able to still ultimately obtain visa benefits through use of an I-601 waiver of a finding of inadmissibility or through use of an I-212 waiver (depending on the reason for denial). However, all cases must be analyzed based upon the unique set of facts in the case in order to make a determination as to the eligibility of an applicant for any immigration waiver.

Japan currently participates in the visa waiver program. That said, those wishing to travel to the US on their Japanese passport utilizing the visa waiver program must register online via the electronic system for travel authorization (ESTA) system prior to traveling to the USA.

For related information please see: US Visa Japan.

more Comments: 04

The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely on advertisement. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. The information presented on this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.