Integrity Legal

Posts Tagged ‘US Fiance Visa Thailand’

1st March 2011

It recently came to this blogger’s attention that the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) will be changing their procedures in matters pertaining to address changes. To quote directly from the website of the Division of International Services NIH Office of Research Services:

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has announced new mailing addresses for submitting the Form AR-11. The form must now be mailed to an office in Kentucky, and not to the USCIS Headquarters in Washington, D.C.

Forms submitted via the U.S. Postal Service should be sent to:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Change of Address
P.O. Box 7134
London, KY 40742-7134

Forms submitted via commercial overnight or freight services should be sent to:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Change of Address
1084-I South Laurel Road
London, KY 40744

Any forms previously mailed to the USCIS Headquarters will be forwarded to the Kentucky office. A new version of the Form AR-11, which includes the new mailing addresses, has been issued and is now available on the usCIS website (click here to download a copy of the form). Additional information on the change of address is available here on the USCIS website.

The administration of this blog highly recommends that readers click on the above link to read the full announcement.

This issue could be of particular importance for those who have recently filed a petition for immigration benefits and subsequently moved their place of residence. Also, those who enter the United States of America in K-1 visa status (the categorical name for the US fiance visa) should take note of the above announcements as K-1 visa holders are required to submit an application for adjustment of status in order to be granted lawful permanent residence in the USA. In some cases, a bi-national couple may find that they need to change their address while the adjustment of status is pending. Failure to advise the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) of such a change could result in processing delays or a situation in which a couple is not notified of an upcoming adjustment of status interview. This could result in the couple missing said interview and the K-1 fiancee falling out of status due to a deficient adjustment. For these reasons, keeping USCIS abreast of one’s address while a petition is pending is very prudent.

In a recent posting on this blog it was also noted that the USCIS has recently changed their policy regarding employment authorization and advance parole. The service is apparently issuing advance parole on the same document that grants employment authorization prior to adjustment. Advance parole is a benefit that can be granted to those holding K-1 visa status which allows the visa holder to leave the country while an adjustment is pending. Failure to obtain advance parole prior to leaving the USA could result in the K-1 visa beneficiary falling out of status and thereby requiring the process to be restarted all over again.

For related information please: K1 Visa Thailand.

more Comments: 04

27th May 2010

For those who bring a foreign fiance or fiancee to the United States of America, an often asked question is: “What if my fiancee wants to work in the USA prior to her adjustment of status?” The answer to this question is somewhat complicated. When a foreign fiancee or spouse enters the United States on a non-immigrant K1 visa or K3 Visa, the entrant is generally not authorized to take up employment in the USA until that alien either adjusts status to permanent residence (Green Card) or obtains employment authorization. Recently, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) announced that, in an effort to decrease immigration fraud, new Employment Authorization Documents are to be issued. The following is a direct quote from USCIS’s official statement:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) today announced that it has revised the Employment Authorization Document (EAD), or Form I-766, to incorporate the addition of a machine-readable zone on the back of the card.. This update to the EAD is part of USCIS’s ongoing efforts to deter immigration fraud. Starting May 11, USCIS began issuing the revised EAD cards. The machine-readable zone is compliant with International Civil Aviation Organization standards. USCIS also removed the two-dimensional bar code on the backside of the card and moved the informational box of text to just beneath the magnetic stripe on the card. The revised card retains all of its existing security features.

In most cases, foreign fiancees or spouses of US Citizens opt to wait for permanent residence before taking up employment. However, in some instances this is not the case as there are increasing numbers of foreign fiancees and spouses who work for multi-national companies. These international businesses sometimes wish to have their non-US Citizen employee start work in the USA as soon as they can. Therefore, there are situations in which speedy employment authorization is a necessity.

In the past, K3 Visa holders could seek employment authorization at the port of entry when they entered the USA. As the K-3 Visa is being increasingly phased out, this method of receiving employment authorization is being employed less frequently. Another issue that often arises in the context of Employment Authorization is that of advance parole. Holders of a US fiance visa cannot leave the United States prior to adjustment of status and simultaneously maintain their lawful K1 status unless they apply for, and receive, an advance parole travel document.  In some cases, couples making an application for advance parole will also make an application for an EAD in order to work in the USA.

more Comments: 04

12th May 2010

Recently, the website announced that the Thai Cabinet has drafted proposed legislation for the enactment of laws that would tackle the difficult legal issues surrounding surrogate parents and reproductive rights. The following is quoted from

BANGKOK: — The Cabinet yesterday approved draft legislation for children born through the use of Assisted Reproductive Technologies (ART), deputy government spokesman Bhumin Leeteeraprasert said.

This law permits two kinds of surrogate pregnancy: the one that uses the egg and sperm of a married couple; or one that uses the egg or sperm of either a husband or a wife, paired with the sperm or egg of another person.

According to the draft law, the Juvenile and Family Court would be given the authority of judging paternity cases for such children and a committee would be set up to protect the children. It also stipulates that the surrogate mother should be married, and her husband should consent to another man’s sperm being used. The draft law also authorises the Medical Council to set the criteria, methods and financial conditions for the care of surrogate mothers before, during and after the pregnancy.

The draft law also covers the criteria for the donation of eggs or sperm, their storage and the use of ART. It also prohibits the use of the egg or sperm of donors who have died without leaving written consent.

It also lists punishment for unethical doctors and makes transitory provision for endorsing medical professionals to be responsible and provide ART services according to the Medical Council’s regulations.

It also covers a transitory provision to endorse the rights of those born through the use of ART before this law goes in effect provided a request is filed with the authorised court to declare a surrogate child as a legitimate offspring of a couple that resorted to ART.

In the United States, many of these issues come up in court proceedings as many of these issues are, at their root, constitutional questions in the USA. In Thailand, as technology progresses at an increasingly dizzying rate, these issues must be dealt with or else those who wish to enjoy the benefits of technological progress will be left in something of a legal “limbo” if an unforeseen problem should arise. It is also interesting to note that the proposed law would address the issue of those would die and leave their genetic material in the care of those who can store such items. This author applauds the Thai Cabinet for choosing to prohibit the use of such genetic material unless the person to whom it belongs bequeaths it to another person prior to their death in an instrument such as a Thai Will.

For further related information please see: Thailand Property Law or US Fiance Visa Thailand.

more Comments: 04

The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely on advertisement. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. The information presented on this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.