Integrity Legal

Posts Tagged ‘I-129f Application’

2nd January 2010

For those interested in a detailed analysis of the K-3 Marriage visa please see: K3 visa Thailand. For general US Immigration information please see: US Visa Thailand.

K3 Visas in 2010

It is a new year in both Thailand and America and this author felt that this would provide a perfect opportunity to discuss the K3 visa and the obtainment process in 2010. At present, there is no reason to believe that the K3 visa process will dramatically change. That being said, Comprehensive Immigration Reform will likely be a major issue in the coming months and US Family Visas will probably be effected by any changes to the United States Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). Since any commentary regarding future changes to the process would simply be an exercise in speculation it may better to simply explain the current process and processing times in order to facilitate more informed decision making on the part of future applicants and petitioners.

Currently, the K3 visa application is submitted after the submission of an initial I-130 application. At present, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) estimates that an I-129f application (the application that must be submitted in order to obtain a K3 visa) will be processed in approximately 5 months. This figure is slightly misleading as a K3 application requires that one include a copy of the Notice of Action 1 receipt for the initial I-130. It usually takes a minimum of one week after I-130 submission to receive a Notice of Action 1 receipt. Therefore, one should take this into consideration when making plans and timing calculations regarding the K3 visa for a Thai spouse.

K3 visas are processed through the National Visa Center in a manner similar to K1 visa applications. The application is then sent to the United States Embassy in Bangkok where the applicant (or their attorney of record) is notified that they can submit an application and request a visa interview.

The major difference between the K1 visa and the K3 visa is the fact that the K3 visa is a 2 year multiple entry visa where the K1 visa only provides the bearer with 90 days of lawful status in the United States. They are both dual intent visas in that they allow the bearer to have both non-immigrant and immigrant intent. This could be viewed as a benefit as it does not require the Consular Officer interviewing the applicant to analyze the applicant’s intentions through the prism of section 214b of the Immigration and Nationality Act. Section 214b is commonly cited by Consular Officers when denying applications for a US tourist visa or other non-immigrant visa categories.

more Comments: 04

7th June 2009

The K-1 Application: Frequently Asked Questions

A very frequently asked question with regard to the K-1 Fiance Visa is: how do we apply for a K-1 Visa? US Immigration procedure is a somewhat difficult to understand for those who have never dealt with the application process. This post will briefly provide details about the K-1 application, where it will be filed, and use of an Immigration attorney.

A common misconception held by many American Citizens is that a visa applicant can simply apply for the K1 Visa at the US Embassy directly. It is easy to understand why people believe this particularly in light of the fact that this is essentially the procedure for obtaining a US tourist visa. In the case of K1 visas this, however, is not the case. One must first file the K-1 visa application with an office called the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service, or USCIS for short. The application is then routed to the National Visa Center and remitted to the American Embassy in Bangkok.

There are so many forms, which should be used?

Many people are belabor under the myth that the US Immigration process is a very straightforward process. In reality, because US Immigration law is statute driven it can be quite complex to the point of being byzantine. The rules governing how and where things must be filed and the order in which petitions ought to be filed can be fraught with difficulty for the laymen. In the case of the K1 visa, the correct application form that should be used is the I-129f. This should not be confused with the I-129 petition form. Withing this application form, there are many questions that  a couple will need to confer about. Recent statutory changes like IMBRA and the Adam Walsh Act have created new restrictions with regard to who is allowed to petition for a K-1 visa.  The I-129f is the crux of the fiance visa application, but there are more government forms that must accompany this application along with supporting documentation that must be used to prove the legitimacy of the relationship.

Where do we file the K1 visa application?

The location that one should file a K1 application depends upon where the US Citizen’s residence in the United States is located. Another misunderstanding involves a belief that aK1 application can be filed at a local USCIS office. In most cases this is not correct. There are two Service Centers for US Citizens wishing to file a K1 application, one is in Vermont and the other is in California. The location for filing the application depends heavily upon the US Citizen’s state of residence.

Should we use an attorney to file a K-1 visa application?

Retaining the services of an attorney is a decision that each couple should decide on their own. That being said, a great deal of the administrative burden can be lifted by retaining attorney assistance. An attorney or law firm with an office in the home country of the fiancee can be even more beneficial because the attorney can deal with the fiancee’s issues at the US Embassy in real time.

(Nothing Contained herein should be thought of as an appropriatealternative to personalized legal advice from a competent attorney. No attorney/client relationship should be assumed to have been created by merely reading this post.)

more Comments: 04

The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely on advertisement. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. The information presented on this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.