Integrity Legal

2nd Feb 2012

In order to provide relevant information for those seeking Consular Services in Southeast Asia the administration of this web log routinely posts the holiday closing schedules of the various US Missions in Asia. The following is quoted directly from the official website of the US Embassy in Cambodia:

Month Day Holiday Khmer/U.S.
January 2 Mon International New Year’s Day U.S.
Jan 16 Mon Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr. U.S.
Feb 20 Mon George Washington’s Birthday U.S.
Mar 8 Tue International Women’s Day Khmer
Apr 13 Fri Khmer New Year’s Day Khmer
Apr 16 Mon Khmer New Year’s Day Khmer
May 14 Fri King Sihamoni’s Birthday Khmer
May 28 Mon Memorial Day U.S.
Jun 18 Mon King Mother’s Birthday Khmer
Jul 4 Wed Independence Day U.S.
Sep 3 Mon Labor Day U.S.
Oct 8 Mon Columbus Day U.S.
Oct 15 Mon Pchum Ben Day Khmer
Oct 16 Tue Pchum Ben Day Khmer
Oct 31 Mon King Father’s Birthday Khmer
Nov 9 Wed Independence Day Khmer
Nov 12 Mon Veterans Day U.S.
Nov 22 Thu Thanksgiving Day U.S.
Nov 29 Thu Water Festival Khmer
Dec 25 Mon Christmas U.S.

For further information from the aforementioned website please click HERE.

Those seeking services such as notarization, Consular Reports of Birth Abroad, or US passport renewals are well advised to seek such services from the US Consular section of the US Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. In many cases it will likely be necessary to make an online appointment prior to arrival at the Post in order to ensure processing of a specific request for services.

In order to obtain a US visa for a foreign fiancee the American fiance is generally required to submit a petition to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) prior to the case file being processed through the National Visa Center (NVC), assuming approval; and finally on to the US Embassy or US Consulate with appropriate jurisdiction. Those seeking an immigrant visa for a foreign spouse are also likely to be required to receive an approved USCIS petition prior to processing at the National Visa Center before eventual interview and processing at a US Embassy or US Consulate abroad.

In general, it has been this blogger’s experience that the non-immigrant visa categories for foreign loved ones, such as the K-1 visa or the K-3 visa are processed by the non-immigrant visa unit at the American post with appropriate Consular jurisdiction. Meanwhile, immigrant visa categories such as the CR-1 visa or the IR-1 visa are processed by an immigrant visa unit. That stated, some protocols may vary depending upon the unique circumstances of a particular Post.

For information related to legal services in Southeast Asia please see: Legal.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely on advertisement. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. The information presented on this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.