Integrity Legal

Posts Tagged ‘Marriage Visa Thailand’

25th October 2018

It recently came to this blogger’s attention, via a press release from the US Embassy in Bangkok, that the Embassy seems to be in the process of discontinuing issuance of income affidavits pertaining to verification of finances in the context of application for certain types of Thai visa extension. To quote directly from the press release:

As of January 1, 2019, the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok and the U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai will cease to provide the income affidavit for the purpose of applying for Thai retirement and family visas and will not notarize previous versions of the income affidavit.  The Royal Thai Government requires actual verification of income to certify visa applicants meet financial requirements for long-stay visas.  The U.S. government cannot provide this verification and will no longer issue the affidavits.

Those unaware of the importance of these documents should take note of the fact that in the past notarized income affidavits were used in connection with applications for either a Thai retirement visa or a Thai marriage visa. Such documents were utilized in lieu of presenting evidence of a lump sum in a Thai bank account (800,000 THB for a retirement visa, and 400,000 THB for a marriage visa) or proof of a prolonged history of income in a Thai bank account (65,000 THB per month for a retirement visa and 40,000 per month for a marriage visa). These documents were generally issued by the American Citizen Services (ACS) Section of the US Embassy. In the past, a notarized income affidavit from the US Embassy which was legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs was sufficient to meet the evidentiary requirements of the Thai Immigration officers adjudicating financial documentation in connection with applications for visa extensions. As seems to be the case in matters pertaining to British income letters, American officials appear to be unwilling to continue issuance these instruments in light of the recent official Thai requests that the veracity of the information in the affidavit be verified rather than merely the authenticity of the signature on the document. It seems that although the Embassy is unable to continue issuing such documentation as it was issued in the past, they will continue to notarize other documentation.

more Comments: 04

14th September 2009

In a previous blog posting we discussed the K2 child visa which is a derivative visa of the K1 fiance visa. The K2 visa is intended for the unmarried minor children of K1 visa applicants. Both visas have an initial validity of 90 days, but if the K1 visa holder adjusts status, then the K2 visa holder can “piggyback” their application for adjustment onto that of their parent and obtain permanent residence as both a derivative and a step-child.

K3 visas operate in a similar manner as the K1 visa. K3 visas are non-immigrant visas that allow for dual intent. This means that the entrant can have non-immigrant as well immigrant intent at the time of entry in the United States of America. For those with children, the K4 visa is one way of bringing a K3 visa holder’s unmarried minor children to the United States. Like the K2 visa, the K4 visa mirrors the benefits of its parent category. Therefore, if a K3 visa is issued with a validity of 2 years (which has become the common practice), then the K4 will likely be issued with the same validity period. The K4 visa is also a multiple entry visa just like the K3.

The K3 visa category was created at a time when it was taking nearly three years to process regular I-130 visa applications for foreign spouses. It was created with the idea of providing an expedited non-immigrant visa alternative so that bi-national families could be reunited quickly. As the processing time for the I-130 has decreased, so too has the need for the K3.

For those who travel to the United States on a K3 or K4 visa, eventually the issue of adjustment of status will arise. As the K3 and K4 are non-immigrant visas, the holders must apply for a “green card” before being allowed to remain in the USA. K4 beneficiaries can “piggyback” their application for adjustment on their K3 parent’s application.

As stated previously, for most people the K3 visa, and therefore its K4 counterpart, is generally not the most optimum visa because it takes longer to process when compared to the K1 and it does not confer Permanent Residence as the CR1 or IR1 visa does. However, the K3 has its strategic benefits because it can allow the couple the opportunity to have more control over their case’s adjudication, because the statute specifies that the interview forum is based upon the location of the underlying marriage.

more Comments: 04

20th June 2009

A question sometimes posed with regard to US Immigration from Thailand involves the possibility of a Thai fiancee or spouse eventually acquiring United States Citizenship by naturalization. Even in a case in which the couple in question is seeking a K-1 visa or a K-3 Visa (which are both non-immigrant visas) there still seems to be an underlying belief that eventually the immigrant fiancee or spouse will one day wish to acquire United States citizenship.

Many people wonder about the time and residency requirements for naturalization. In many cases the ability to read, speak, and write in the English language is a requirement and a general knowledge of the history and government of the United States is also mandatory.

As to the residency requirement, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) stipulates that one must have been lawfully admitted to permanent residence in the United States in order to subsequently apply for citizenship. The USCIS website goes further and states:

“Lawfully admitted for permanent residence means having been legally accorded the privilege of residing permanently in the United States as an immigrant in accordance with the immigration laws. Individuals who have been lawfully admitted as permanent residents will be asked to produce an I-551, Alien Registration Receipt Card, as proof of their status.”

To quote further from the USCIS website, in order to Naturalize as a United States Citizen one must meet the following eligibility requirements set forth under the Immigration and Nationality Act. Basically, the applicant must:

  1. have resided continuously as a lawful permanent resident in the U.S. for at least 5 years prior to filing with no single absence from the United States of more than one year;
  2. have been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the previous five years (absences of more than six months but less than one year shall disrupt the applicant’s continuity of residence unless the applicant can establish that he or she did not abandon his or her residence during such period)
  3. have resided within a state or district for at least three months

Beyond these requirements the applicant must also show that they are of good character. Which is best indicated by an absence of criminal record. In cases where a child of an American Citizen is not eligible to acquire US citizenship at birth, naturalization technically occurs automatically upon the child’s entry into the United States on an Immigrant Visa.

Please note: that where the applicant for naturalization gained lawful permanent residence due to marriage to a United States Citizen, the time requirement for naturalization is 3 years of permanent residence and 18 months physical presence in the United States.

(This post is intended for general informational purposes only and should not be used as substantive legal advice. For more information please contact a licensed attorney. This post does not create a lawyer-client relationship between the person writing this post and those later reading it.)

more Comments: 04

The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely on advertisement. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. The information presented on this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.