Integrity Legal

Posts Tagged ‘I-130 application’

5th January 2010

For more information about how the IR-1 visa process works please see: IR1 visa Thailand. For further information about United States Immigration, United States Visas, and United States Immigration attorneys please see: US Visa Thailand.

The IR-1 visa in 2010

As with many of the other types of American visas, the IR-1 visa process seems poised to remain largely unchanged in the year 2010. However, the dawning of a new year, and a new decade, provides this author with an opportunity to discuss the IR-1 visa and how the IR1 visa process works.

For those who are not familiar with the IR1 visa, this is an immigrant visa, sought pursuant to a filing of an I-130 application, for those who wish to travel to the United States of America in order to take up lawful permanent residence. It is a travel document similar to the CR-1 visa. That being said, there is a major difference in the type of status each document confers upon entry in the United States. An IR-1 visa provides the bearer with unconditional lawful permanent residence upon entry. Whereas the CR-1 visa only provides the bearer with conditional lawful permanent residence upon admission to the USA. This can be a crucial difference as conditional residence requires that the couple file for a lift of conditions in order for the foreign spouse to be considered an unconditional lawful permanent resident. This is a critical difference because it means that a foreign spouse who enters in CR-1 status is considered a permanent resident only so long as her marriage remains intact. A divorce or death could lead to a situation where the foreign spouse is forced to depart the United States.

Fortunately for some couples, the conditionality of permanent residence is adjudicated at admission to the United States. Therefore, those who were married less than two years when they applied may be married more than 2 years at admission. In many cases, these couples will have the foreign spouse enter in IR-1 status rather than CR-1 status in order to facilitate later convenience.

CR-1 and IR-1 visas are currently taking approximately 5 months to process through the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) in the United States. This figure presupposes that the foreign beneficiary is a child or spouse of a United States Citizen. The process is very similar to the CR-1 visa process. That being said, there are those in Thailand who opt to submit a local filing at the USCIS office in Bangkok which can greatly reduce the processing time because USCIS: Bangkok has a much lower case load of such petitions when compared to the Service Centers in the United States of America. Also, a local filing does not process through the National Visa Center which can decrease the overall processing time as well.

In order to submit a local filing the couple must meet some fairly strict criteria, but should these requirements be met, the expedited processing time could be a virtual boon to those wishing to move quickly.

more Comments: 04

12th June 2009

Many prospective clients are curious as to the status of a child born to a bi-national couple.  The most common situation we see in Thailand is a couple who has a Thai-American child and the child has dual nationality and is thus entitled to dual citizenship.  However, there are some interesting situations regarding nationality and having done research on this issue I decided to write this brief post in order to disseminate some of the nationality and citizenship rules out there.

US Nationality

A major misconceived notion among American is the idea that an American always transmits his or her citizenship on to his child automatically. This is not necessarily the case. United States Nationality law says:

“For persons born on or after November 14, 1986, a person is a U.S. citizen if all of the following are true

  1. One of the person’s parents was a U.S. citizen when the person in question was born;
  2. The citizen parent lived at least 5 years in the United States before his or her child’s birth;
  3. A minimum of 2 of these 5 years in the United States were after the citizen parent’s 14th birthday.”

Therefore, if the United States Citizen parent does not meet this criteria, then the child could be born without US citizenship. That being said, it would be possible to file an I-130 application for a Permanent Resident Visa and upon entry into the USA, the child becomes a Citizen by operation of law.

Irish Citizenship by Marriage

There was a time when the spouse of an Irish Citizen could acquire Irish Citizenship by declaration after marriage. This was once a matter of right, but this law is no longer in effect and thus a couple now must comply with new regulations in order to obtain an Irish passport for a foreign spouse.

Citizenship by Marriage

In an effort to end “marriages of convenience,”  i.e. marriage executed solely to obtain another person’s citizenship, many countries throughout the world have repealed laws that allow foreign nationals to obtain citizenship simply by marriage. Two notable exceptions to this are Tuvalu and Barbados, but Barbados only allows this if a Barbadian man marries a foreign woman, seemingly if the genders of the couples are reversed, then the Barbadian nationality does not transmit upon marriage.

Asian Countries That Do Not Allow Dual Citizenship

Japan and Korea expressly prohibit their citizens from holding dual nationality. In cases where a child is born to parents of differing nationality, the child is generally required to choose one of the two nationalities by a statutorily specified age.

Dual Citizenship and Thailand

Thailand does not expressly prohibit dual nationality, but the attitude toward those holding two passports is somewhat less than enthusiastic. In cases of a Luk Krueng or half-Thai child, the Thai nationality will likely transmit to the child. If the foreign parent is a US Citizen and meets the criteria above, then the child would also be born with American nationality. Thus the child would be truly Thai-American.

(Please note: Nothing in this article should be used in place of legal advice. Particularly in the area of nationality law, rules and codes change over time so information that was once true, might later prove false. Therefore, it is wise to retain the services of an attorney in the country one wishes to the obtain nationality of. Nothing in this piece should be viewed as creating an attorney-client relationship between author and writer.)

more Comments: 04

The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely on advertisement. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. The information presented on this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.