Integrity Legal

13th Oct 2009

The authors have noticed an upsurge of those asking about how to go about replacing a lost passport while traveling in the Kingdom of Thailand. This post is a brief overview of what needs to be done when one loses their United States Passport in Thailand.

In order to receive a new passport one must go to the American Citizen Services (ACS) section of the United States Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand. This office is located near the Consular Section of the US Embassy, in fact the two rooms are adjoining once one is inside the compound. It is wise to first make an ACS appointment by going to the US Embassy website here

In many cases, people do not plan to lose their travel documents so making an appointment may not be feasible. The United States Embassy website provides the following suggestion:

“When traveling, please remember to carry a photocopy of your passport separately from your passport. In the event of loss or theft, the copy will help facilitate issuance of an emergency passport.”

For those thinking of traveling, keep the above quote in mind as it can save a great deal of time at the Embassy.

At one time, the American Citizen Services Section in Bangkok, Thailand was considered to be one of the worst for customer service when compared against its counterparts in the region. However, over the past 5 years, this office has done a great deal to improve customer service and efficiency. It is now a very customer-friendly office that provides fast effective service.  If an online appointment is set in advance then one could expect to be in and out in relatively short order, depending upon the service sought.

For those who lose their passport, they have the option of either applying for a new passport or applying for an emergency passport. Under limited circumstances, the Embassy will expeditiously issue Emergency Passports that have a very short validity period.

In order to obtain a new passport one will need to provide proof of citizenship such as a Naturalization Certificate, Certificate of Citizenship, a Birth Certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Drivers License. Again, due to the likely unavailability of these documents it is always wise to have a copy of the previous passport.

Once the new travel document is issued, one needs to have their Thai Immigration entry stamps replicated in the new passport. Therefore, a trip to Thai Immigration will be necessary. For those with a long term Thai visa, the visa will need to be duplicated in the new passport.

For those in Northern Thailand, the American Citizen Services Unit at the United States Consulate-General in Chiang Mai also could assist with passport issuance. See their website here.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

3 Responses to “I have lost my United States Passport in Thailand, what do I do?”

  1. Michael says:

    I lost, or more likely it was stolen, my US passport while traveling here in Bangkok. Can the consulate issue me a new passport, not just an emergency one, I have a few more countries I want to visit? Thank you


  2. admin says:

    They should be able to issue you a new 10 year passport, but it usually takes about 2 weeks to get it. Emergency passports are usually issued with one year validity, or less. You may be wise to check out the American Citizen Services page of the US Embassy Bangkok website found at this address:

    The personnel at ACS are extremely courteous and efficient.

    Hopefully this was helpful

  3. Milan Vigilante says:

    Thanks dude, that is very good information, much appreciated.

Leave a Reply

The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely on advertisement. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. The information presented on this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.